“The mission of the Kennett Underground Railroad Center (KURC) is to preserve the heritage and engage the public about the historic abolitionists and freedom-seekers of this area and beyond.”
Some of KURC’S Goals are:
- To educate the public about the historic struggle of abolitionists, conductors, stationmasters, and freedom-seekers.
- To bear witness to the values that challenged and ultimately caused an end to slavery in America.
- To celebrate the oneness of the human spirit in the ongoing quest for freedom around the world.
- To interpret and preserve the unique local heritage for future generations through tours, public speaking, re-enactments, published works, and eventually a learning center.
- To identify buildings recognized as stations on the Underground Railroad and encourages and assists the owners to gain recognition of these sites on a local, state, or national level.